Set a Win32 application to RUNASINVOKER for all usersUseful Command-line Commands on WindowsWindows 2003 GPO...

Can we carry rice to Japan?

Practical reasons to have both a large police force and bounty hunting network?

How can I handle a player who pre-plans arguments about my rulings on RAW?

Do AL rules let me pick different starting equipment?

I encountered my boss during an on-site interview at another company. Should I bring it up when seeing him next time?

Where is this quote about overcoming the impossible said in "Interstellar"?

It doesn't matter the side you see it

I can't die. Who am I?

Being asked to review a paper in conference one has submitted to

Why are banks allowed to resell mortgages?

Misplaced tyre lever - alternatives?

Caulking a corner instead of taping with joint compound?

Why doesn't "adolescent" take any articles in "listen to adolescent agonising"?

Is divide-by-zero a security vulnerability?

What is better: yes / no radio, or simple checkbox?

How can I highlight parts in a screenshot

Meaning of word ягоза

PTIJ: What’s wrong with eating meat and couscous?

How can neutral atoms have exactly zero electric field when there is a difference in the positions of the charges?

Understanding the template

How does signal strength relate to bandwidth?

“I had a flat in the centre of town, but I didn’t like living there, so …”

If nine coins are tossed, what is the probability that the number of heads is even?

Book about a time-travel war fought by computers



Set a Win32 application to RUNASINVOKER for all users


Useful Command-line Commands on WindowsWindows 2003 GPO Software RestrictionsHow can I script an HKCU setting for a handful of users on a specific server who don't have profiles?how to configure machine settings for all users for IE windows server 2008 IE 9?Windows server 2008 R2 error running vbscript from Registry at startupWindows Explorer view style via GPO or registry editDouble-clicking on file opens wrong executableCannot set DSCP on Windows 10 Pro via group policyWindows 2003 dynamic ports rellocationCopy-Item -ToSession from Powershell v 5.0 to v 2.0













0















I am preparing a PowerShell script to perform initial configuration on some Windows 10 hosts. One of the configuration steps involves a problem with an older piece of software requesting administration elevation, which it does not need. This software is not called by the script itself, but will be used by users as required. The solution requires that I set a compatibility flag forcing the program to run as invoker for all users - I'm trying to figure out a way to implement this solution in the configuration script.



To do this, I can add a string value to the registry key HKLM:SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionAppCompatFlagsLayers. The string value's name is the absolute path of the executable in question, and its data value is ~ RUNASINVOKER. Putting this into a Powershell script is not a problem.



The problem is that this alone does not work, even after restarting the machine. In order to make it take effect, I need to right click on the executable in explorer and choose properties, select "Change settings for all users" under the compatibility tab, then simply click OK in the new dialogue without changing any settings.



It seems as though this process does something to refresh or initialise my compatibility settings, but I am unclear what happens, much less how to implement in a PowerShell script.



I should add that the process also works in reverse. I can add the registry value after doing the "Change settings for all users" fix and it will take effect immediately.



Does anyone understand what is happening to make my registry addition take effect, and how I can implement this in a PowerShell script?



Thank you.










share|improve this question
















bumped to the homepage by Community 14 mins ago


This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.




















    0















    I am preparing a PowerShell script to perform initial configuration on some Windows 10 hosts. One of the configuration steps involves a problem with an older piece of software requesting administration elevation, which it does not need. This software is not called by the script itself, but will be used by users as required. The solution requires that I set a compatibility flag forcing the program to run as invoker for all users - I'm trying to figure out a way to implement this solution in the configuration script.



    To do this, I can add a string value to the registry key HKLM:SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionAppCompatFlagsLayers. The string value's name is the absolute path of the executable in question, and its data value is ~ RUNASINVOKER. Putting this into a Powershell script is not a problem.



    The problem is that this alone does not work, even after restarting the machine. In order to make it take effect, I need to right click on the executable in explorer and choose properties, select "Change settings for all users" under the compatibility tab, then simply click OK in the new dialogue without changing any settings.



    It seems as though this process does something to refresh or initialise my compatibility settings, but I am unclear what happens, much less how to implement in a PowerShell script.



    I should add that the process also works in reverse. I can add the registry value after doing the "Change settings for all users" fix and it will take effect immediately.



    Does anyone understand what is happening to make my registry addition take effect, and how I can implement this in a PowerShell script?



    Thank you.










    share|improve this question
















    bumped to the homepage by Community 14 mins ago


    This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.


















      0












      0








      0








      I am preparing a PowerShell script to perform initial configuration on some Windows 10 hosts. One of the configuration steps involves a problem with an older piece of software requesting administration elevation, which it does not need. This software is not called by the script itself, but will be used by users as required. The solution requires that I set a compatibility flag forcing the program to run as invoker for all users - I'm trying to figure out a way to implement this solution in the configuration script.



      To do this, I can add a string value to the registry key HKLM:SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionAppCompatFlagsLayers. The string value's name is the absolute path of the executable in question, and its data value is ~ RUNASINVOKER. Putting this into a Powershell script is not a problem.



      The problem is that this alone does not work, even after restarting the machine. In order to make it take effect, I need to right click on the executable in explorer and choose properties, select "Change settings for all users" under the compatibility tab, then simply click OK in the new dialogue without changing any settings.



      It seems as though this process does something to refresh or initialise my compatibility settings, but I am unclear what happens, much less how to implement in a PowerShell script.



      I should add that the process also works in reverse. I can add the registry value after doing the "Change settings for all users" fix and it will take effect immediately.



      Does anyone understand what is happening to make my registry addition take effect, and how I can implement this in a PowerShell script?



      Thank you.










      share|improve this question
















      I am preparing a PowerShell script to perform initial configuration on some Windows 10 hosts. One of the configuration steps involves a problem with an older piece of software requesting administration elevation, which it does not need. This software is not called by the script itself, but will be used by users as required. The solution requires that I set a compatibility flag forcing the program to run as invoker for all users - I'm trying to figure out a way to implement this solution in the configuration script.



      To do this, I can add a string value to the registry key HKLM:SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionAppCompatFlagsLayers. The string value's name is the absolute path of the executable in question, and its data value is ~ RUNASINVOKER. Putting this into a Powershell script is not a problem.



      The problem is that this alone does not work, even after restarting the machine. In order to make it take effect, I need to right click on the executable in explorer and choose properties, select "Change settings for all users" under the compatibility tab, then simply click OK in the new dialogue without changing any settings.



      It seems as though this process does something to refresh or initialise my compatibility settings, but I am unclear what happens, much less how to implement in a PowerShell script.



      I should add that the process also works in reverse. I can add the registry value after doing the "Change settings for all users" fix and it will take effect immediately.



      Does anyone understand what is happening to make my registry addition take effect, and how I can implement this in a PowerShell script?



      Thank you.







      windows runas






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Jun 23 '17 at 8:11







      RobBeltran

















      asked Jun 23 '17 at 7:21









      RobBeltranRobBeltran

      13




      13





      bumped to the homepage by Community 14 mins ago


      This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.







      bumped to the homepage by Community 14 mins ago


      This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.
























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          0














          I'm guessing the software running is a call to start a .exe file? Could you try this line ABOVE the line that runs your application?



          set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker





          share|improve this answer
























          • Hi Joe, sorry for not being clear - the .exe itself isn't run as part of the script, the script just performs initial configuration. The .exe will be run as needed throughout normal use.

            – RobBeltran
            Jun 23 '17 at 7:45











          Your Answer








          StackExchange.ready(function() {
          var channelOptions = {
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "2"
          };
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
          createEditor();
          });
          }
          else {
          createEditor();
          }
          });

          function createEditor() {
          StackExchange.prepareEditor({
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader: {
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          },
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          });


          }
          });














          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function () {
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fserverfault.com%2fquestions%2f857450%2fset-a-win32-application-to-runasinvoker-for-all-users%23new-answer', 'question_page');
          }
          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes









          0














          I'm guessing the software running is a call to start a .exe file? Could you try this line ABOVE the line that runs your application?



          set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker





          share|improve this answer
























          • Hi Joe, sorry for not being clear - the .exe itself isn't run as part of the script, the script just performs initial configuration. The .exe will be run as needed throughout normal use.

            – RobBeltran
            Jun 23 '17 at 7:45
















          0














          I'm guessing the software running is a call to start a .exe file? Could you try this line ABOVE the line that runs your application?



          set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker





          share|improve this answer
























          • Hi Joe, sorry for not being clear - the .exe itself isn't run as part of the script, the script just performs initial configuration. The .exe will be run as needed throughout normal use.

            – RobBeltran
            Jun 23 '17 at 7:45














          0












          0








          0







          I'm guessing the software running is a call to start a .exe file? Could you try this line ABOVE the line that runs your application?



          set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker





          share|improve this answer













          I'm guessing the software running is a call to start a .exe file? Could you try this line ABOVE the line that runs your application?



          set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker






          share|improve this answer












          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer










          answered Jun 23 '17 at 7:29









          Joe BrailsfordJoe Brailsford

          67329




          67329













          • Hi Joe, sorry for not being clear - the .exe itself isn't run as part of the script, the script just performs initial configuration. The .exe will be run as needed throughout normal use.

            – RobBeltran
            Jun 23 '17 at 7:45



















          • Hi Joe, sorry for not being clear - the .exe itself isn't run as part of the script, the script just performs initial configuration. The .exe will be run as needed throughout normal use.

            – RobBeltran
            Jun 23 '17 at 7:45

















          Hi Joe, sorry for not being clear - the .exe itself isn't run as part of the script, the script just performs initial configuration. The .exe will be run as needed throughout normal use.

          – RobBeltran
          Jun 23 '17 at 7:45





          Hi Joe, sorry for not being clear - the .exe itself isn't run as part of the script, the script just performs initial configuration. The .exe will be run as needed throughout normal use.

          – RobBeltran
          Jun 23 '17 at 7:45


















          draft saved

          draft discarded




















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Server Fault!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid



          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function () {
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fserverfault.com%2fquestions%2f857450%2fset-a-win32-application-to-runasinvoker-for-all-users%23new-answer', 'question_page');
          }
          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          117736 Шеррод Примітки | Див. також | Посилання | Навігаційне...

          As a Security Precaution, the user account has been locked The Next CEO of Stack OverflowMS...

          Маріан Котлеба Зміст Життєпис | Політичні погляди |...